Home Fire Inspection
Upon request, the Leon Valley Fire Department will conduct a fire safety survey of your home and property free of charge.
The Fire Safety Survey includes:
- A full evaluation of any hazards present in the home or property.
- Recommendations for corrective actions needed to prevent fires or other accidents in the future.
- Testing of the smoke detector and carbon monoxide detector.
- Assistance in developing a fire safety evacuation plan for the entire family.
You and your family can survive a fire in your home if you plan ahead and practice what to do.
Visit NFPA for More Info
Plan Your Escape
- Draw a floor plan of your home.
- Show two ways out of each room.
- Be sure that children can unlock windows and open all the doors.
- If windows or doors are equipped with burglar bars, be sure that they are equipped with quick-release devices and that everyone knows how to operate them.
- Agree on an outside meeting place where your family can gather after you have escaped.
- Plan to call the fire department from a neighbor's house.
Practice the Escape
- Hold home fire drills.
- Make drills realistic and pretend some exits are blocked by smoke or fire.
- Once your family has escaped, do not allow anyone to go back inside a burning building.
- Close doors behind you as you escape to slow the spread of fire.
- Crawl low in smoke, keeping your head low where the air has less smoke.
- Test doors and doorknobs for heat with the back of your hand before opening the door. If it is warm, try another escape route. If it is cool. Open the door slowly. Close the door immediately if there is a lot of smoke and try another exit.