Abatement Requirements
  1. You must file the application by the deadline of September 1st. A new application must be filed each year. Ensure that the application is returned to the Clerk / Auditor's Office after it is completed and signed with any required documentation:
    250 N. Main St.
    Suite 100
    Richfield, UT 84701
  2. You must own your home as of January 1st* of the current tax year to apply for an abatement; and,
  3. live in your home at least 10 months per year to qualify for an abatement.
*The Disabled Veteran Abatement and Active Duty  Armed Forces Abatement ownership deadline is September 1st of the current year.

Abatement Types
  • Blind Abatement: No age or income requirements; abatement can be used toward residence or personal property and first-time applicants must show ophthalmologist’s statement of legal blindness (the un-remarried spouse or minor child of a blind individual who dies may continue to receive the abatement)
  • Circuit Breaker / Indigent Abatement: Requirements listed above under Abatement Requirements section; income requirements listed on application (forms are available after May 1); you must be age 66 or older or be under age 66 and demonstrate extreme hardship or medical disability and meet income requirements to qualify for an abatement (a widow or widower may be eligible at any age)
  • Disabled Veterans Abatement: No age or income requirements; abatement can be used toward home or personal property; a new application must be submitted yearly and first-time applicants must submit a letter from the Veterans Administration listing the degree of disability (the un-remarried widow or widower of the veteran may continue to receive the abatement)
  • Active Duty Armed Forces Abatement:  No age or income requirement; abatement can be used toward home; available to those with qualifying active duty military service of at least 200 days of active military service outside the State in an active component of the US Armed Forces or a reserve component of the US Armed Forces either within one year or consecutively over two years.  

Contact Us
Please call the Clerk / Auditor's Office at (435) 893-0401 if you have any questions or if you would like a form mailed to you.